Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Fierce Meal At Follow Your Heart

On a hot summery afternoon, I ventured to Follow Your Heart in Canoga Park for a scrumptious lunch. The all-vegetarian restaurant was completely packed with a lone table waiting just for me. The menu was even bigger than it was my last visit, so I was excited that I had more options (although I was also a tad overwhelmed).

I started the meal off with a refreshing shake, which was a meal in itself. I opted for the Peanut Butter Shake made vegan ($6.50).



The shake was so decadent and had a rich peanut butter flavor. It was very thick and frothy and filling. It served as a dessert replacement in having the perfect amount of sweetness and a great accompaniment  with my entree by counteracting the saltiness of my meal.

For my entree, I had the Spanakopita ($14) made vegan.


This dish was amazing. The spanakopita was fantastic and had a flaky, crispy outer layer and a savory interior. The spinach and tofu feta concoction had a creamy texture and were generously coated in Mediterranean spices. It was so flavorful and melted in my mouth as I ate it.  On the downside, the rice was a little bland, however and could have used some seasoning and the salad was dry without any dressing. The onions were also very overpowering and I felt wasteful not being able to eat all of them, since my mouth was on fire. It is such a shame that such a delectable entree was accompanied with underwhelming sides.

Overall, I felt satisfied with the meal and found the tastes lingering on my tongue for quite awhile after. I would love to see Follow Your Heart improve the Spanakopita dish as it has such potential. I used a $20 voucher that I purchased for just $8 so the meal was very reasonably priced. Follow Your Heart had raised the prices of its dishes slightly since my last visit, but it is still well worth it. The food is delicious and the portions are quite large. I cannot wait to return again and wish they would add a second location on the West Side so I could visit more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment