Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Juicy Meal At Juice & Java

On a scorching hot day in Florida, my grandma and I ventured to Juice & Java in Boca Raton for a light meal. The cafe was packed during lunchtime and we opted to sit outside in the shade, where there was a light breeze. We looked over the menu, which was overwhelmingly large and had tons of vegan options. My grandma and I began with a small smoothie ($3 each) to cool us down, while we decided what to order.


The smoothie was very fruity and had a wonderful taste of mangoes. It was thick and a little frothy and very refreshing.

For my grandma's main meal, she decided to have the Beet salad ($8).


The salad was delicious, although I'm not a fan of raisins. It was loaded with sweet slices of beet and crunchy carrot pieces. The red cabbage added a lovely bitterness. The vinaigrette was light and refreshing, with a slightly tart, lemony flavor.

Next, I had my dish: the Falafel wrap with avocado ($7.50+$2)


This was delightful. I opted for the tomato-basil wrap, which had a lovely sweetness. The baked falafel was soft and delectable and was very savory. The avocado greatly enhanced the flavor of the wrap, adding a rich, fatty taste. The tahini sauce was very creamy and blended well with the smooth hummus. I enjoyed that this was filling, yet I did not feel weighed down after eating it.

Lastly, we had a Red Velvet cake ($4) for dessert.


This cake was fantastic. It was very moist and had a wonderful chocolaty flavor, with a subtle bean taste. The frosting was very luscious and had a rich cream cheese flavor. This was the perfect way to end a hearty meal.

Overall, I really enjoyed Juice & Java. I was disappointed to discover that their soy cheese is in fact not vegan, despite that menu items using it as an ingredient are labeled so. Nevertheless, there are many delicious and healthy options, such as quinoa salad, grilled tofu and stir-fries. We used a $5 off coupon from Clipper Magazine to save a little bit of money on the meal. I will definitely return on my next visit to Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment