Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Distinguished Dinner At Darbster

On my recent trip to West Palm Beach, Florida, I dined at one of the few vegan restaurants in the area, Darbster. Since the food and ambiance are so fantastic, I actually dined there three times. The first occasion occurred on a stormy night. My grandma was reluctant to go, but the weather did not deter me from venturing there. When we got there, the rain had nearly stopped and there was a slight wait in the cool dining room.

Since we had eaten a late lunch, we decided not to order an appetizer. For my entree, I had the Tacos ($13).


The tacos were spectacular. They were filled with juicy tempeh slices, succulent tomato, buttery avocado, and slightly melty daiya cheese. The only think that would have made this better would be a nutty cashew cheese. The tempeh really stole the dish and had a wonderful assortment of spices and seasonings. The rice and beans made a great accompaniment and was very hearty.

My grandma ordered the Quinoa Loaf ($15).


This dish was very innovative and tasty. It was very meaty, yet was not heavy at all. The mixture of quinoa and vegetables had a lovely nutty flavor. The mashed potatoes had a creamy consistency and was well-seasoned. The gravy took the dish over the top, along with the tangy balsamic glaze. The fried onions on top were a nice touch and added a crunchiness to the dish.

Lastly, we had the Peanut Butter Ganache Cake ($8).


The cake was fantastic. It had layers of moist peanut butter cake, creamy frosting, and rich chocolate mousse. The culmination of the layers was very decadent. I liked that the cake was not too sweet. The chocolate syrup and berries were a superb addition and enhanced the already perfect cake.

Overall, the meal was very good. The food was a little pricy, but we did have a coupon that I received from Darbster's e-newsletter. With the coupon, we got the cake for free, which took $8 off the bill. Everything we had was tasty, yet fairly healthy. I felt really good after eating the meal and ready to take on the windy, humid weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment