Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Shining Meal At Sublime

During my recent trip to Florida, I ventured to Fort Lauderdale to dine at one of my favorite restaurants, Sublime. This restaurant is truly unique, with a picturesque waterfall in the restaurant and classy ambiance. It lacks the traditional hipster vibe that so many Vegan restaurants have. I also feel great about dining at the restaurant since the food is not only 100% Vegan, but the proceeds benefit the restaurant's Foundation, which spays and neuters dogs and cats. 

We began the meal with a must-have: the Frito Misto ($11).


This dish was fantastic, as usual. The cauliflower was perfectly deep-fried and crispy and coated in a sweet and spicy sauce. The sesame and poppy seeds added a slight crunchiness, while the green onions added a lovely bitterness.

Next, I had my entree, the Reef Tacos ($15).


These were delicious. The tofu was coated in a wonderful crunchy batter and had a "fishy" flavor.  The slaw was very creamy and crisp. It had a superb saltiness to it, which contributed to the seafood taste. The rice and beans were very hearty and were well-seasoned. 

I tried some of my grandma's dish: the Thai Red Curry ($15). 


This dish was also very good. It was quite spicy and the red curry taste was very strong. The sauce was fairly creamy and had a slight coconut taste. The tofu and vegetables were perfectly grilled and was easy to chew. 

My grandma's friend had the Mushroom Risotto Cake ($16), which she also let me try.


As a mushroom loather, I was a bit nervous to try this dish. But I have to admit I was surprised that I actually liked it. The risotto was very creamy and had a rich flavor. It had a slight tanginess and the mushrooms had a meaty texture. 

For dessert, we all shared the Chocolate Nirvana ($9). Since everyone else was full, I ended up eating the majority of it. 


The cake was fabulous. It was moist and had a rich, chocolate flavor. The butter creme was light and heavenly and a great contrast to the more dense cake layer. The chocolate ganache was a superb finish, making the cake even more decadent. 

Overall, the meal was very good. Everything we had was very tasty and it felt great supporting such an amazing restaurant. During Black Friday, I had ordered a few $50 Sublime gift cards for $25 each, which made the meal half price. Regardless, the food was so wonderful and flavorful, I would have paid full price for it. I cannot wait to return again on my next trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment