Friday, June 24, 2011

Saving The Green At Pizza Cookery

On Wednesday evening, I had the pleasure of attending the Original Pizza Cookery's Vegan Tasting event in Woodland Hills. I had been to this restaurant once before and really enjoyed their deep dish Chicago Vegan pizza. I also fell in love with their soft, luscious Vegan garlic bread oozing with gooey Daiya cheese.  I was excited when I heard the restaurant was launching a brand new, expanded Vegan menu and were previewing it with a completely free event. I was a little nervous that there would not be much food, so imagine my surprise when I walk in to see a whole table covered with Vegan delicacies.  


The line for the buffet when I arrived was quite long, but definitely worth it. I could not wait to find a seat and enjoy the delicious food.


My first plate consisted of a garlic bread roll, fresh from the oven, accompanied by a creamy glob of whipped soy butter. The garlic bread was just as delicious as I remembered. It was nice and soft with a light coating of oil. The garlic pieces had a touch of saltiness that worked perfectly when dipped in the decadent butter. There was also a superb piece of pizza. The first piece I had was my favorite. It had a sweet barbeque sauce slabbed on and was topped with savory pieces of chunky soy chicken coated in melted Daiya cheese and thinly sliced onion pieces. The pasta was also fabulous and was covered in a meaty tomato sauce and topped with crumbly soy meatballs. Lastly, there was a delicious lasagna filled with soft, well-seasoned vegetables and a tofu ricotta completely reminiscent of real ricotta cheese. It was perfectly whipped and salted to capture the cheesy consistency and tasted so heavenly. The chicken parmesan was also delicious and quite satisfying.

I was also given a plate of salad and kale chips.


The kale chips were salted beautifully and were very crisp and crunchy. They had a slight cheesy flavor. The barbeque chicken salad was fantastic and the chunks of chicken were slightly chewy and very savory. The dressing was very creamy and had a subtle sweet flavor. The soy cheese seemed a little out of place in the dish, as it retained its odd taste. 

The fabulous staff at Pizza Cookery kept bringing more and more food out to please all the hungry Vegans and demonstrate the variety of their menu options. They even brought some calzones filled with barbeque chicken.


The calzone was amazing and was filled with small chunks of delicate soy chicken coated in the scrumptious barbeque sauce. The vegetables were well cooked and covered in melted, lightly seasoned Daiya cheese. The bread was soft and easy to bite into. 

Lastly, some desserts were served. A couple was celebrating their Anniversary and thus Chef A.J. baked a decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter cake. As is the case with all of Chef A.J.'s lovely creations, this cake contained no oil and was sweetened with dates. 


The cake was moist and had a rich chocolate flavor. The peanut butter provided a very creamy filling, along with the heavenly chocolate frosting. The dessert was very satisfying and not overly sweet.

Fabe's cookies also provided a sampling of their offerings.


Their cookies are some of my favorite and were slightly chewy and fun to eat. I love that there were so many flavor varieties and each cookie tasted distinct.

A meal cannot be complete without a refreshing beverage. The Pizza Cookery provided pitchers of ice water and a cooling, freshly brewed iced tea. I opted for the iced tea and found myself going back for several refills.


The tea was delicious and washed down the meal very well. 

Everyone had a great time and the energy level was very high the entire time. It was great to see old faces and meet new people.


This event was so amazing. I am so glad that Pizza Cookery truly appreciates their Vegan customers and recognizes the demand for Vegan menu items. I cannot wait to return and support their fabulous new menu and hope you will all try it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment