Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Power of Sun Cafe

Sun Cafe is one of my favorite places, since it allows me the opportunity to eat raw and cooked food in one meal. The food is consistently delicious and leaves me feeling energized. A couple weeks ago, I dined there with a friend using my beloved $25 restaurant.com gift certificate. It had been several months since I had been to Sun Cafe, but the food was just as delicious. Even better, they had several enticing new options on their specials menu that I'm dying to try.

First, we had an order of the Sun Nachos ($12).


These are the most amazing nachos I've ever had and I always order this when I dine at Sun Cafe. The chips are freshly baked and crispy and layered with delicious toppings. There are various flavors of cashew cheese that ooze with flavor. There are savory bits of "chorizo" that provide a meaty taste. My favorite is the smooth guacamole, which is delicately seasoned and has a rich flavor from the avocados.

Next, we had the Mexican Pizza ($13) with kale salad.


The pizza had very similar flavorings and seasonings as the nachos. The cheese and guacamole worked perfectly together, making the dish salty and lightly spiced. The raw bread crust was my favorite, as it was crunchy and had a slightly olive taste. The kale salad was a wonderful accompaniment, with the well-massaged, slightly chewy kale, crunchy pieces of pecan and rich, creamy ranch dressing.

Lastly, we had the macaroni and cheese ($16) from the specials menu.


This was the highlight of the meal. I am a huge fan of macaroni and cheese and this dish was spot on. The pasta had a lovely doughy consistency and was soft and delectable. The cheese sauces were true perfection and were so creamy and perfectly salted. There was a wonderful nutty breading on top, which had a slightly sweet taste. There was also an addition of bacon bits interspersed, upon our request, which added a subtle smoky flavor and crunch to the dish. There was a wonderful arugula salad surrounding the macaroni and cheese, coated in a sweet balsamic vinaigrette.

Overall, I was very pleased with the meal. The food was so flavorful and delicious, despite being so healthy. I love how everything always tastes fresh and the food is prepared with care and devotion. With the discount, the meal only cost about $13 a person (with tax and tip).

1 comment: