Monday, August 13, 2012

A Salivating Dinner At Streets of India

One of the things I love most about LA is the Indian cuisine. I have had the most amazing, authentic food at one of LA's many veggie Indian establishments. One of my favorites is the very vegan friendly Streets of India in Encino, that I constantly rave about. I have never had a bad meal here and I am confident that I never will. This place more than makes up for the horrific LA traffic and smoggy air.

We started out with Samosas ($4) for our first appetizer.


These samosas are fantastic. They are perfectly crispy on the outside with a savory curried concoction on the inside. They are the perfect way to begin a meal.

Next, we had Vada Sambar ($5).


These lentil donuts are delicacies and were very delicious. They were light and airy and slightly crispy. They had a lovely lentil taste, which was very hearty. I loved the accompanying sauces, especially the coconut chutney. They had the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.

Next, we had the Baingan Bertha ($8).


I was hesitant to try this dish, as I am not a huge fan of eggplant. Yet, the spices completely overpowered the awkwardness of the eggplant and I could barely notice its odd texture and slight bitterness. The tomatoes added a lovely sweetness and the onions and green peas added a nice crunch.

Next, I had the Gobi Manchurian ($9).


This is one of my favorite dishes and for good reason. The cauliflower was deep-fried and took on a similar texture as fried chicken. It was crispy on the outside and slightly chewy inside. The chili garlic sauce provided a tangy flavor and intense heat.

Next, I had the side of Daal, which accompanied the main dishes.


This daal was fantastic. The lentils were rich and hearty and the tomatoes provided a slight sweetness. This dish was loaded with spices and was perfectly seasoned.

Lastly, I had the Vegetable Korma ($8).


Being a vegan, I'm not used to eating such rich, creamy sauces, so I always get taken aback when I find a dish that mimics its dairy counterpart so closely. This dish is one of those that makes you question whether there really is dairy in it, despite the assurance of the staff that it is in fact vegan. The luscious taste and texture comes from the combination of coconut milk and cashews, which tastes so heavenly. I found myself licking the plate to get every last bit of the scrumptious sauce.

Overall, the meal was fantastic. Even though I was stuffed beyond means, I found myself continuing to crave their food long after leaving. With our $25 restaurant.com gift certificate, the meal cost about $20 total. I cannot wait to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment