Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Bitter Meal At Better Life

On a warm summery afternoon, I ventured to Santa Monica to dine at Better Life Cuisine. I had taken a break from this restaurant for a few months and decided I was ready to dine there again. Their food items taste very similar, as they use the same spices and seasonings for each dish. Nevertheless, the food is tasty, affordable and invigorating. I used the Scout Mob app on my Android to take advantage of their 50% off coupon. The app was easy to use and hassle-free.

I began the meal with the Italian Wrap ($11.25).


This wrap was pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of collard greens, which made up the outer layer, but it added a nice crunch. My biggest complaint about the wrap was that there was too much lettuce. There were huge chunks of romaine lettuce inside, which made the wrap taste even more bitter. It also overpowered the scrumptious pesto sauce and juicy croquettes. The accompanying "cous-cous" salad was tasty and cooling. It also had a bitter flavor, though, which made it a poor supplement for the wrap.

For dessert, I had the cacao cheesecake ($5).


I really wanted the cinnamon bun, but sadly they were all out, so I ordered this instead. I am not a huge fan of Better Life's desserts, but of all the cheesecakes I've had there, this one is the best. It has a wonderful creamy texture and the vanilla and chocolate sauces are rich and decadent. The cake itself is slightly sweet, but the bitterness of the cacao dominates the flavor.

Overall, the meal was pretty good. These dishes are not representative of the delicious food that Better Life has to offer. I much prefer Better Life's "pizzas" and "pastas", as these are way more flavorful. With the Scout Mob discount, the meal only cost $8. I will return again soon, in hopes that they have my beloved cinnamon roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment