Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Lingering Sunday Brunch at Red Lentil Restaurant

In a previous post, I expressed my love for brunch, especially as a way to end the week on a pleasant note. After a busy week of visiting my folks, exploring the city, and indulging myself in delicious foods, I needed to spend the afternoon unwinding. Thus, I headed back to Red Lentil in Watertown, MA for a decadent brunch.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many choices for brunch in the Boston area, but from the few I've been to, Red Lentil has been my favorite. The brunch is not completely vegan, although any dish can be easily made vegan through substituting real cheese for daiya or eggs for tofu scramble. Feeling lazy, my dining partner and I decided to get two dishes that were by default vegan. My dining partner ordered the tofu scramble, while I went with my usual dish, the vegan french toast. Both were very inexpensive at $7.50 each.

When the dishes came out, they looked even more scrumptious than I remembered. Eager to see if it tasted as good as it looked, I dug into it and found my expectations were greatly exceeded. Somehow it was even better.

There were about four slices of thick "eggy" bread, soaked in a sweet, caramelized glaze. The french toast was coated in banana slices and chopped walnuts, which were drizzled in a luscious raspberry sauce.  The dish was so sweet and decadent and the piles of toppings gave it a richer texture and further enhanced the taste.

My dining partner gave me a large helping of her dish, which I also really enjoyed. It was great to have the savory food balance out my deliciously sweet meal.


The tofu scramble was one of the best that I've had. The tofu had an eggy consistency and was very crumbly.  It was so flavorful and the vegetables were well cooked, but not overdone. I also really loved the hash browns. They were soft and chewy and had a delicate coat of oil and seasonings. The accompanying bread was also very good and was lightly spread with a vegan butter.

Overall, I really love this brunch and sometimes I think about moving back to Boston just to have this brunch every Sunday. While the brunches in LA are just as amazing, this brunch is not only delicious but such a great price. In addition, we used a student discount again, thus scoring an extra 15% off our meal. The meal came out to less than $20 with tax and tip.  If you are in Boston and looking for an enjoyable Sunday brunch, but don't want to break the bank, Red Lentil is your place.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmm, that looks so delicious and affordable ;)

    ReplyDelete