Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Second Chances At Fresh East

I am a huge believer of second chances and thus after my subpar experience at Fresh East a few months ago, I decided to give them another chance before writing them off. They recently had a deal on Gather Green for $10 for $20 worth of food, which I was sure to take advantage of. I headed back there last week on another late night, as my stomach growled with intense hunger. I noticed their menu was even larger than my last visit, with tons of vegan options. I opted for Chinese food this time, hoping they would do a better job with this cuisine, as I had found their Indian food to be very bland.

I started out with the Avocado rolls ($7.50).


These were delicious. They were such a unique take on the traditional spring roll. The avocado filling was soft and creamy, with a subtle sweetness. There was a lovely seasoning and touch of salt that worked very well. The roll itself was deep-fried and very crispy. The accompanying sauce complimented the rolls perfectly, adding a delectable sweetness with a mild spiciness. These rolls were very filling and could have easily been made into an entire meal.

For my entree, I had the Spicy Garlic Noodles with tofu ($9).


I have to admit, I was very worried about how this would taste. After my last experience with Fresh East's entree, I expected this would lack much spice, despite its name. I am so happy to say that this had such a lovely, garlicky flavor, with a hint of soy sauce. It had a moderate spice, with a very subtle kick to it. The vegetables were stir-fried nicely, with a delectable seasoning and were easy to chew. The tofu was my favorite part of the dish, as it was lightly fried and slightly chewy. It made the dish taste savory and was a great compliment to the slurpy noodles.

To wash everything down, I ordered a melonade ($2).


I am a huge fan of lemonade, especially the flavored kind, so I am so glad that Fresh East offered this on their menu. The drink had a lovely sweetness with a hint of tartness. The taste of melon was very strong, but was cooling and refreshing.

Overall, I really enjoyed the meal. I am so happy that I gave Fresh East a second chance, as I never would have tried these amazing food items. I was beyond stuffed from the meal and surprisingly was unable to finish everything. I had to box up some of the food and have it as leftovers for lunch the following day. Thankfully, the food kept in my fridge and the food tasted even more flavorful the next day. With the voucher, I did not have to pay anything on top of the $10, which was a very good deal. Even better, I was able to make two meals out of it, which essentially came out to $5 a meal. I cannot wait to go back and try more of their vegan items. Here's to hoping that this meal was not a fluke and my next one will be just as tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment