Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Huge Meal At Tara's Himalayan Cuisine

On lovely fall evening, I decided to be adventurous and try some Nepalese food. Since I had a $20 voucher to Tara's Himalayan Cuisine that I purchased for $10 through LA Voice Deals, I drove to Culver City to try the place out. I was a little nervous at first, since I had no idea what it would be like, but I'm so happy I dined there.

While I looked over the lengthy menu, the waiter brought over some complimentary pappadum.


The pappadum was a wonderful way to begin the meal. It was very light and crispy and had a lovely lentil flavor.

Next, I had the Vegetable Steamed Momos ($6).


These were magnificent. The outside was soft and doughy and the inside was filled with a savory vegetable mixture. The tomato dip had a mild spice and added a subtle sweetness to the momos. The accompanying salad was fantastic and coated in a tangy vinaigrette.

Next, I had a bowl of the Tomato Spinach Soup ($4).


This soup was lovely. The spinach and tomato provided great contrasts to one another. The spinach was slightly chewy and bitter, while the tomato was soft and succulent. There was a moderate spiciness to the soup and it was very flavorful.

Lastly, I had the Aloo Chili ($7).


This dish was fantastic. The potatoes were soft and juicy and had a meaty taste. The bell peppers and onions were sauteed well and coated in a scrumptious sauce. This vegetables were perfectly seasoned with a moderate spiciness. The accompanying rice was very light and absorbed the flavors of the dish very well.

The wash down the meal, I had a Himalayan Iced Tea ($3).


The iced tea was very refreshing and had a lovely minty flavor. My only complaint is that it wasn't very sweet, so I had to add some sugar.

Overall, the food was fabulous. I was happy to learn that most of the Vegetarian options are in fact Vegan (except for the ones with cream sauce and paneer). The food was very similar to Indian food, although the spices were a little more intense. With the discount, my meal cost about $14 with tax and tip. The food is very reasonably priced and the portions are pretty generous. I will definitely return again and hoping they will have another deal soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment