Monday, December 19, 2011

A Fast And Fresh Meal At Fresh East

Fresh East is a great place to visit if you want a quick, healthy meal for a low, reasonable price. It's got a great, relaxing vibe that's a great place to chill day or night. Even better, starting at dinnertime, they offer a fantastic happy hour and even provide entertainment. I visited them last week for a post-workout lunch and to use up an expiring LA Voice Deals voucher I had bought for $7 for $15 worth of food. I opted to try something new and was oddly craving a curry dish.

I started the meal off with a bowl of red lentil soup ($4).


The soup was delicious. It was perfectly spiced and the lentils were not too overpowering. They were balanced out well by the taste of ginger and tomatoes. The soup was hearty and easy to digest.

For my main course, I ordered the Coconut Water Curry with tofu ($10).


I found this dish to be mediocre. The curry was way too spicy. I have a fairly high tolerance for spicy food, yet found the dish to be very intense and difficult to eat. The sauce was also very dry and flaky. I prefer sauces that soak the dish and mix well with the accompanying rice. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the tofu and found it to be cooked perfectly. It was slightly chewy on the outside and soft and luscious on the inside.

Overall, I was a little disappointed with the meal. It's odd that the curry sauce on my entree was so overpowering, as this sharply contrasts my first experience at the restaurant with a very bland dish. It's interesting to experience these two extremes and demonstrates the lack of consistency at Fresh East. I would not recommend this dish, but since they have expanded their menu, I am hoping to find a dish I really enjoy. The meal was very inexpensive at only $7 and was quite filling. I appreciate that the food is healthy and left me feeling energized afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment