Friday, August 26, 2011

Following The Heat To Follow Your Heart

On a stifling summer afternoon after a long photo shoot in the valley, I found myself famished and oddly craving greasy grub. Since I was already so far up north, I trekked to Follow Your Heart, as I had a Gather Green voucher that was nearing its expiration date. I made the mistake of sitting on the covered patio, which at first glance seemed like it would have a lovely shade. Instead, after about ten minutes, I found myself drenched in sweat, and my heavy makeup was running down my face. Nevertheless, the food was very enjoyable and more than made up for my discomfort from the humidity.

I first ordered a chocolate milkshake, which I requested to be made non-dairy ($5).


This is one of the best milkshakes I've ever had. It was so chocolately and had the perfect amount of sweetness. It was very thick and creamy, with just a little bit of frothiness. There was a huge portion of this and I could barely finish it. It was such a nice compliment to my meal and was so refreshing on a scorching hot day.

Next, I ordered the Enchilada Corazon ($12), which came with a choice of soup or salad. I opted for the dal soup, so I could get a taste of both Indian and Mexican cuisines.


The soup was chunky and thick and tasted very hearty. The flavor of lentils was very strong and the soup was spiced very well. It left me feeling very calm and soothed.

Next, I had the enchiladas.


This plate was way bigger than I imagined it would be. The enchiladas were very delicious and were coated in a scrumptious, moderately spiced red sauce. The interior consisted of a delectable mixture of soft, well-seasoned vegetables. There was a generous sprinkling of semi-melted soy cheese, which seemed awkward on the dish and retained a bit of its odd aftertaste. The guacamole was so smooth and creamy and had a rich avocado flavor. The rice and beans were a great accompaniment, as they were lightly spiced and very flavorful. The jicama salad was a nice contrast to the spicy food, as it provided a lovely sweetness and a slight cooling sensation.

Lastly, I had the Chocolate Vanilla cake for dessert ($5).


This was such a great way to end the meal, although it caused me to have a bit of a chocolate overload. I only ate about a quarter of the cake, since it was so rich and dense. This cake completely disproves the theory that vegan desserts are dry and tasteless. It was so moist and had a lovely sweetness and the frosting was so creamy and luscious. It reminded me of a hostess cake, although I much preferred this version.

Overall, I really enjoyed the meal. I was so stuffed and my stomach was so distended, I could barely stand. I wish I had taken more of the meal home as leftovers and eaten it the next day for lunch. Nevertheless, the food was so flavorful and it was so great to be able to eat such a variety of food in one meal. With the $20 voucher that I purchased for $10, I paid $17 in total (including tax and tip). Considering all the food and drink I got, it was definitely a good deal! I cannot wait to return and I'm sure there will be another great discount soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment