Monday, November 28, 2011

A Sublime Dinner

Since Sublime opened years ago, I have been dying to dine there. While it's only about 45 minutes from my grandma's house, in Fort Lauderdale, it is quite a trek and no one in my family has been willing to make it. During my visit to Florida, my grandma's vegan friend raved about how amazing Sublime is and described how innovative their food is. Thus, the three of us hopped in my grandma's car and braved the dangerous streets filled with elderly drivers.

The restaurant was not what I expected and quite larger than any vegan restaurant I've been to. The interior was beautiful, with a wonderful, spacious, modern layout and a waterfall against one of the windows.


My grandma's friend and I decided to each order a pre-fix menu that cost $35 and included a glass of wine, appetizer, entree and dessert. This was way cheaper than ordering items individually. My grandma wasn't very hungry, so she ordered an entree and tried some of our dishes.

First, a complimentary polenta dish came out.


This was delicious. The polenta was soft and had a savory flavor. It had a very delicate texture and was easy to chew.

Next, our glasses of wine came out. I ordered the chardonnay.


The wine complimented the food very well. It was slightly bitter and had a subtle sweet undertone. It went down easy.

Next, our appetizers came out. I ordered the Frito Misto and my grandma's friend ordered the Crispy Eggplant Rollatini. I first tried the Frito Misto.


This was very delicious. The cauliflower was deep-fried in a batter and coated with a sweet and spicy sauce. It was very crispy and had a lovely tanginess. The sauce was so scrumptious and was soaked up well by the fried cauliflower.

Next, I tried an eggplant rollatini.


I didn't think I would like this, as I am not a fan of eggplant. I did not notice the eggplant at all, since the creamy tofu ricotta dominated the dish. It was so rich and luscious and had a lovely saltiness. The appetizer was reminiscent of a crispy manicotti roll.

Next, I had my entree, the Quiche Lorraine.


As a vegan, I rarely get the chance to have a cheesy quiche that I loved in my vegetarian days. This quiche was very nostalgic for me, as it mimicked a non-vegan quiche so well. It had a wonderful, "eggy" texture and was so soft and creamy. It had a delectable cheesy taste and a savory flavor. It did not seem exactly like a ham quiche, but the crispy tempeh provided a meaty taste. The accompanying kale salad was fantastic. It was very light and refreshing and the kale was easy to chew.

For dessert, we shared the Chocolate Nirvana and Coconut Cake. I first tried the Chocolate Nirvana.


The chocolate cake was rich and had such a moist texture. It was not too sweet and not too chocolatey or dense. The frosting was very creamy and had notes of kahlua and buttercream. The chocolate ganache on top was very decadent.

Lastly, I had the Coconut Cake.


While I'm not a huge fan of coconut, I loved this cake. It had a rich flavor and such amazing textures. The taste of coconut was not overpowering, but balanced out by the buttercream. The accompanying almond tuille was delectable and was crispy and had a perfect sweetness.

Overall, the meal was phenomenal. This was some of the best food I've ever had. The customer service took the experience over the top, as the waiter was very attentive and frequently checked up on us and chatted with us. In addition, the owner of the restaurant came to our table to introduce herself. For the quality of the meal, the price was very reasonable. In addition, Sublime donated their proceeds to animal charities, so by dining there you are not only eating a delicious cruelty-free meal, but helping animals in need. Our meal came out to less than $100 total, with tax and tip. I cannot wait to return to Sublime on my next trip to Florida. Seriously, this place is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment